Sunday, December 6, 2009

Entertaining Strangers



Do not forget to entertain strangers for by so doing, some have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2
At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Matthew 11:25


As I walked to my car, I was "unsure" of what awaited me on the hour-long drive home. I say I was "unsure" because I had a passenger. A young man whom I'd heard spoken of before, but had never met. He was in need of a ride and I was going his way.
I didn't know if we'd have an hour of silence or if I'd just sound to him like one of those adults trying to talk to a kid who wasn't interested. "Gosh LORD," I prayed, "Help, please...cause, here we go!"
Well, little did I know the surprise that awaited me.
It turns out I didn't even have to even think about what to ask, because before I knew it, he was talking and I was listening.
He talked in an easy going, mild-mannered sort of way that reminded me of a cowboy. One that might've grown up on a ranch and learned politeness, patience and the value of conversation from experience and plenty of time to think about them all.
With sincerity and wisdom, a surprising acceptance and lack of bitterness, he talked about the troubles he had, had and how he felt about them all. We talked about God; what is true and how things aren't always how they should be, and he understood in a knowing sort of way.
He went on to share the stories of his life and the people who frequented it. He shared how he enjoyed the praise and worship at his friend's church and how there were people that went around praying over you and how some people would just go and kneel at the front, "they were so touched by the Spirit." He described liking how certain people could preach and make the Word come alive; about having a friend that he looks up to like a brother and how he is a really good influence on him; about how his parents have worked hard to have a better life and how he loves to go hunting with his father on a beautiful ranch where you can watch the sun come up over the horizon and see the beauty of the land run for miles.
Funny thing, how this hour ride left me rather speechless until now.
But it is a story so beautiful, it begs to be told.
You see, I met Jesus that night in the heart of a 14-year-old boy.
Graced by His presence, I'm still in awe of the moment and I can't help but wonder how often He visits us in the hopes that we'll see Him...in the hopes that we'll see Him...in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment